Learn how your REALTOR® can help you find the perfect home.
Top ten tips to make your house-hunting experience stress-free:
- Hire a REALTOR® – as residential REALTORS®, their wealth of experience, technical know-how and familiarity with the community will be invaluable, and is by far the most important house hunting tip you can employ.
- Get a pre-approved mortgage – before you even consider looking at housing for sale, see how much you can afford by having your mortgage amount pre-approved. This avoids disappointments and wasted time chasing down listings that are out of your price range.
- Don’t go it alone – bring along your spouse or a friend whenever you are viewing open houses or making any big decisions. That second set of eyes may notice issues you didn’t.
- Don’t be shy – buying a home may well be the biggest financial decision of your life, so this is no time to clam up. Ask lots of questions. Stay in close contact with your REALTOR®, and don’t be afraid to ask the hard questions while viewing homes.
- Hire a real estate lawyer – protect your real estate investment by using a lawyer who specializes in real estate. They will make sure all the Ts are crossed and the Is dotted on every legal document you deal with.
- Get organized – you’ll be taking in a lot of information as you scan real estate listings, tour homes and consider your options. It can be hard to keep the facts straight. Bring a pen and notepad and our Buyer’s Home Viewing Checklist and use a day-planner to keep appointments, important dates and contact information. Something to review is The Key to Buying Your Home
- Visit the neighbourhood at different times – the tranquil side-street bungalow you toured on Sunday might be anything but quiet come Monday morning. Rush-hour traffic and the fumes and noise emitted by nearby industry might turn that sleepy street into a bustling boulevard.
- Be wise to the “tricks of the trade” – for the most part, you’ll encounter well-intentioned folks like yourself as you view homes. But be aware that there are techniques sellers often use to show their homes in the best possible light. And don’t be shy about looking under area rugs and behind closed doors. Sometimes there is a reason spots are covered up or out of view.
- Use the internet – if you’re reading this article, you presumably have access to the internet. Take advantage of all the info, advice, calculators and property listings offered right here on or try searching local community sites and local schools. Check out the lay of the land using Google Maps (select Satellite View). Search local newspapers and blogs for news, issues and opinions about the communities you are considering.
- Enjoy yourself – lastly, it is important not to lose sight of the fact that buying a home, while it does have its share of stressors, is an exciting time. So take your time, keep your sense of humour, and don’t let the intricacies rattle you.
Remember, your Royal LePage REALTOR® can advise you in all areas of home hunting and buying.
Royal LePage sales representatives are the residential real estate experts of choice. For helpful advice about buying a home in your area, contact us today.